Landlords - Gas Safety Certificate

Landlords – Gas Safety Certificate

As a landlord, you have a multitude of legal requirements to ensure your property is a safe environment for your tenants. One crucial document is a Gas Safety Certificate (CP12), which proves that your gas appliances have been checked in the last 12 months by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer. It is illegal for a landlord to rent out a property without this certificate being in place and valid. You must also provide a copy of the Gas Safety Record to your tenants.

What are my gas safety responsibilities as a landlord?

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 define the 3 main legal responsibilities you have as a landlord:

Annual Gas Safety Checks

All gas appliances and flues must be checked by a Gas Safe engineer every 12 months. Once this check is completed, you will be provided with a Landlord Gas Safety Record or Gas Safety Certificate, detailing the checks that have been carried out. This is also known as a CP12 or Corgi Proforma, dating back to when Corgi managed this process.

The check can be carried out anytime from 10 to 12 months after the previous check. If the check is less than 10 months or more than 12, you will have a new expiry date for the next certificate.

Any appliances owned by your tenants are not your responsibility, but it is up to you to ensure any flues not connected to the appliance are safe to use.

Gas Safety Record

You must provide a copy of the gas safety check to existing tenants within 28 days and at the beginning of the tenancy for any new tenants.

When rental periods are under 28 days, you should clearly display the gas safety record within the rental property. You must always keep copies of the gas safety certificates.
A gas safety record should include:

Description and location of every appliance or flue checked.

Name, registration number and signature of the engineer who made the checks.

Date when the checks were carried out.

Address of the property where the appliances or flues are installed.

The Landlord’s name and address (or an agent’s where applicable).

Details of any safety defects and actions required (or taken) to fix them.

Results of all operational safety checks carried out on the gas appliances.


It is your responsibility to ensure all gas pipework, chimneys, flues, and appliances are kept in a safe condition. Appliance manufacturers provide guidelines to advise how often servicing is required. If you do not have these, our Gas engineers can advise otherwise.

Installation pipework is not included in the gas safety check, but both Gas Safe and the HSE recommend that it should also be checked. This check should also include:

  • Test for tightness on the whole gas system, including installation pipework.
  • Visually examine the pipework (so far as is reasonably practicable).

There are no formal requirements to keep maintenance records, but you do need to show that you have regularly maintained pipework, appliances, and flues and that you have completed any required repairs.

How do I get a Gas Safety Certificate?

Simple, get in touch with us! We will arrange for one of our Gas Safe Registered engineers to visit the property and carry out the Gas Safety inspection. If the property passes the inspections, we will provide you with a new Gas Safety Certificate.

How long does a gas safety certificate last?

Each CP12 Gas Safety certificate lasts for 12 months and must be given to your tenants within 28 days after the previous one has expired. You must also provide the certificate to any new tenants before they move in or within 28 days.

How long do I need to keep gas safety certificates for?

You must keep expired gas safety certificates for at least two years, to prove a history of compliance.

What if I do not have a gas safety certificate?

Without a certificate, you cannot fulfil your gas safety obligations and may be liable to a fine.

How about if my tenants own their own gas appliances?

Tenants have responsibility for their own appliances; however, as a landlord, you are responsible for the flues and fittings. To be better safe than sorry, it is often best to include them in a gas safety check.

What is checked for a Gas Safety Certificate?

The annual gas safety inspection checks any appliance or equipment that uses gas. This includes the gas supply, boiler, and gas fires.

The gas safety inspection will also include:

  • Check appliances for tightness and safety regulations.
  • Ensure sufficient ventilation.
  • Check burner and gas pressures in line with the manufacturer’s data plates.
  • Check flue flow and remove any combustible products.
  • Monitor the standing and working gas pressures
  • Safety devices must be checked to ensure they work safely, and you should also check for any misuse of gas devices or items

Whilst gas pipework is not part of the annual gas safety check, both Gas Safe and the HSE recommend that you ask your engineer to also:

  • Test for tightness throughout the whole gas system
  • Examine pipework visually (where possible).

Carbon monoxide alarms

Landlords are also required by law to fit carbon monoxide alarms in all rooms used for accommodation in which solid fuel is used. For example, any room with a fireplace or wood-burning stove must have an alarm.

Can you carry provide a gas safety certificate and boiler service at the same time?

Absolutely, in fact its often beneficial to carry out both at the same time. Whilst a gas safety check ensure your boiler is running safely, a boiler service involves checking all components of the boiler to ensure that they are clean and running efficiently.

If you would like to arrange a gas safety check and boiler service, get in touch with us.

How do I know an engineer is Gas Safe Registered?

All Gas Safe registered engineers are listed on the Gas Safe Register website and carry ID, so you can check their qualifications before work commences. Our qualifications are all listed on our Accreditations page.

How much does a Landlord Gas Safety certificate check cost?

The cost of your Landlord Gas Safety check depends on the number of appliances to check, but they usually start at £57.50 plus VAT. Please contact us for a fixed price quotation.

Service contract

We can provide a service contract to deliver peace of mind and give a separate point of contact for tenants, should a gas emergency occur. Please contact us to discuss this further.

The Amber Heating Commitment

Transparent and competitive prices – We usually quote upfront for plumbing and heating work, but sometimes in emergency situations we do not have time to get exact pricing. In these circumstances an estimated figure will be provided. Emergency callouts have a minimum charge, quoted at the time you contact us. All medium and large projects are quoted following a free, no-obligation on-site consultation.

Clear communication – We always explain the work that we are doing and why it is necessary. We always aim to provide the right solution for your budget and circumstances.

On-time – We always provide a 4-hour appointment window, to avoid wasting your time. In the unlikely event that this changes for unforeseen reasons, we will contact you as soon as possible with and updated time of arrival.

Aftercare – All of our work comes with our own one-year workmanship warranty, on top of any manufacturer guarantees.

Friendly Service – Our staff are committed to providing the highest level of customer service and satisfaction. Amber Heating is a family run company and maintaining a personal touch with our customers is important to us. We aim to deliver the same consistent, friendly service every time. Our service is built on trust, high standards of workmanship and always putting the customer first. Many of our clients have found us through word of mouth and we’re proud of our reputation.

Peace of Mind – We want you the best service possible and peace of mind, so all of our work is fully covered by public liability/indemnity insurance and we complete a customer review after every project. Our reputation is extremely important and we want our customers to return to us time and time again.We look forward to hearing from you!

Transparent and competitive prices

We believe in upfront pricing for most plumbing and heating work. However, in emergency situations where time is of the essence, we may provide estimated figures. Additionally, we offer free, no-obligation on-site consultations for medium and large projects, ensuring you receive accurate quotes.

Clear communication

It’s our priority to always communicate clearly and guide you through the work we’re undertaking. We’ll explain the reasons behind each step, allowing you to make informed decisions based on your budget and circumstances.

On-time service

We respect your valuable time. That’s why we provide a 4-hour appointment window, ensuring minimal disruption to your schedule. In the rare occurrence of any unforeseen delays, we’ll promptly inform you and provide an updated time of arrival.


Your satisfaction matters to us. In addition to any manufacturer guarantees, we provide our own one-year workmanship warranty. We stand by the quality of our work and ensure you receive the necessary support even after the project is completed.

Friendly service

All our staff are committed to providing the highest level of customer service and satisfaction. We’re a family-run company, and maintaining a personal touch with our customers is important to us. We also aim to deliver the same consistent, friendly service every time.

Peace of mind

Your peace of mind is invaluable to us. Rest assured, all our work is fully covered by public liability/indemnity insurance. We also conduct customer reviews after every project, allowing us to continuously improve and maintain our stellar reputation.

Reliable Service

Service: Plumbing pipe repair

Positive: Professionalism, Quality

Great service and very reliable. I will be using them again for any new jobs/projects.


Joe Stiddard-Jenkins

Happy Customer

I have used this company twice now and have been completely both times. I will
definitely go back as and when required.


Superb Plumbing Service

John arrived to sort out our leak very quickly and returned as promised to install the new valve. Friendly, experienced can-do people that are good to deal with.

Andrew Jackman

On the job within a day

Professional and straight to the problem. Ordered the part and fixed promptly . What more could u ask. Used them for a while now on a few properties and haven’t been disappointed. Great price great service. I appreciate their help 100%. Needless to say the number is saved on my phone and will be using again.

John Vry

Fantastic service

Amber heating have recently done some work for us and what can I say, what a fantastic service. I called expecting a delay with getting someone to work on our heating system. The very next day we had one of their experienced engineers in our house. All work was carried out in a Covid safe way with such an attention to detail. So happy to find a reliable heating company. Would recommend to anyone.

Bison EV


Quality workmanship. Well recommended

Andy Wales

Absolutely fantastic service!

Would recommend. 5 star +++
Called and arranged same day service as my boiler was failing to work. Asked for fix and service.
Excellent effective and thorough service checking and adjusting all equipment including boiler plus vents and safety equipment.
No push of parts or equipment renewal, even than an older boiler. Just professional and honest service.

Philip Crisp

So Pleased

So pleased with the service I’ve received from Amber Heating. I called Ally needing two boiler services and he carried these out super quick and kept me updated along the way. Wouldn’t hesitate to use Amber again.

Lizzy Spindler

What better service could you want

Superb service, had them out earlier today and have a small issue and they are coming back out this evening.
What better service could you want.

Andy Wilson

Excellent Service

Excellent service again from Amber phoned at 8.00 am regarding faulty boiler
Technician arrived later in after noon as planned system back in operation within 45 minutes

James Mcloughlin

Top Quality Service!

Josh was absolutely 100% professional and helped me every step of the way with my over complicated air source heat pump when another local company let me down.
He explained everything, how to use it and he even set it up for me.
Highly recommended, thank you Josh!

Daniel N

Professional Service!

Great service, well priced, professional and they fitted me in really quickly.

Rachel Engledew

Amber Heating is THE best plumbing firm

Alister worked ceaselessly to discover what was the cause of the toxic smell in our en-suite and solved the problem. We cannot thank him enough for solving a problem that had blighted our lives for a number of years. Several well-known plumbers came to our property and failed to identify the source of the fumes. If there were ten stars we would use them all.


Highly Recommend Amber Heating

I would highly recommend Amber heating. Always on time always polite and friendly and helpful Staff.
Always do an excellent job.
Thank you.

Christine McDaid

Great Service

It’s not often you get a company that gives such great service and value, but Amber ticks all the boxes. Very friendly and very professional engineers. Will be using them on our next project next year.

Lee Anderson

previous arrow
next arrow